Writing for Communication is an essential and mandatory course for students in the SOC programs at American University. Professor Piacente provides a path to success in class as long as you do the following:
- Run multiple edits on your assignments
- Often times, writing assignments are follow-ups on previous assignments. Carefully review Prof. Piacente's comments to ensure success.
- Set reminders in your phone for random due-dates. Assignments are not always due during the next class period. For example, my class is Monday at 5:30 p.m., but sometimes work was due on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. Journalists have random deadlines, and so will you.
- Keep the AP Style manual handy. I bought the text edition, but the short-list he gives you in class is very helpful.
- Pay special attention the grammar lectures. These are probably the most difficult for students, but will really help you in the long-run.
- If you are struggling, utilize office hours! Your professor is here to help you.
Enjoy your semester!