Code of ethics
· Seek truth and Report it
· Minimize harm
· Act independently
· Be accountable
Violating code of ethics is how journalists lose integrity & credibility!!!
JR Moehringer Story
· Name misspelling K-e-l-l-e-y instead of K-e-l-l-y
· Demonstrated the importance of being correct
· Review of comma abuse
- use a comma to set off a direct quote.
- use a comma to separate parts of a compound sentence. Use comma before the coordinating conjunction.
- use commas to avoid misreading.
- use a comma to set off interrupting words and expressions.
- use a comma to set off words of direct address.
- use a comma with names and titles.
- but no comma when title comes first
- use comma to set off items in a series.
- use a comma after an introductory prepositional phrase.
- use a comma after an introductory participial phrase.
- use a comma after an introductory subordinate clause.
- use comma after phrases that show contrast.
· If your not sure look it up.
The Shipping News
· Active verbs are important to telling a story
· Importance of finding the heart of the story
Midterm coming up
· 3 fact sheets and pick two to write stories from it
· Find a blog that you like and write a guest post for it
· Invite people to comment on what you have written
· 250 words
· bring print out copy to class next week
- need some help here are some tips from Janine Warner
- develop a writing style and voice.
- Post often, even if your posts are short.
- allow your readers to comment on your posts.