Thursday, March 6, 2014

Shapiro Takeaway - Grace Ries

Last week I realized that journalism is highly confrontational. I'm not sure why that hadn't resonated with me before someone had to tell me in person, but this is how it went. My main takeaway from the talk was that you have to be a fighter, you have to be hungry, to be successful in the industry. The winner in the end is the one that produces the story with the most accurate and relevant information. Getting that information takes confrontation. I need to work on accepting confrontation as a necessary and helpful interaction and not as intimidating conflict. I can't let people walk all over me when I need to confront them. If one is uncomfortable with confrontation, then maybe they won't be happy in this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment